Systematic Phonics Instruction
Kids that struggle with reading are intelligent. We must teach them in a way that works. Cognitive Science and Reading Research have shown that kids learn best with explicit, systematic phonics instruction. Yet, many classrooms across the world expect kids to guess at words and “catch on.” As a result, many kids struggle with decoding. Our books can help kids learn to read effectively the first time. Our books can also help struggling readers gain ground.
Reading Elephant phonics books are carefully designed for beginners and kids that fall behind in K-2 reading skills. Reading Elephant books are methodically written to ease your student into reading success.
Why can’t I find books my student can read? I’ve gotten every easy reader. My student can’t even read those.
Tired of your student’s reading difficulties? Of the tears during reading time? Looking for fun, effective learn-to-read books that match your student’s unique level? Our phonics books are for you.
Reading Elephant phonics books were created to get all kids reading. Many books inadvertently teach kids to guess, memorize and “catch on.” But learning to read is a process. Kids need to build strong foundational skills in decoding and word analysis. Without carefully designed incremental steps, many kids fall behind.
One Sound at a Time
So our printable phonics books introduce sounds one at a time. Kids master one phonics unit before learning another. Sounds are added gradually. Kids read with confidence and build a strong reading foundation.
Reading Elephant offers printable, systematic phonics books that allow kids to practice: short vowels, consonant digraphs, consonant blends, silent e and long vowel phonics sounds.
My student just memorizes books. He thinks memorizing is reading.
All Reading Elephant books encourage kids to read words sound-by-sound. Our books encourage kids to analyze phonetic units. Kids cannot memorize the books because there are no repetitive phrases or sentences. As a result, kids build transferable reading skills. In other words, they can begin reading words in the real world (not just in a book they’ve memorized).
My child looks at the pictures to read. When the picture is taken away, he can’t read the words!
Our pictures are carefully drawn so kids cannot use them to guess at the words. The pictures are there for fun and to color. No child should rely on pictures to read.
Reading Elephant books are a fun, effective, step-by-step guide to reading success.
Print them all from your home computer!
Reading Elephant Blog
Our phonics blog provides invaluable insights into the power of phonics-based instruction. Learn why we are so passionate about the power of this learning method.
Jada was a 3rd grade student who was behind in reading. The interventions at school weren’t working. I…
Phonics is the relationship between letters and sounds. Teaching phonics involves: phonemic awareness activitiesexplicitly teaching phonics sounds making…
In the following FREE short vowel reading passages, beginners can practice sound-by-sound reading strategies. In the following story…
Most educators and parents want their students to fall in love with reading. After all, many of us…
[Reading Elephant is now on Instagram. To follow us, search for @readingelephant. https://www.instagram.com/readingelephant/] Are you looking for decodable…
Decodable books (also called phonics books) allow children to practice the most common phonics sounds. They are beginning…
What do Reading Elephant books offer?
- Systematic text that introduces sounds gradually, and allows kids to practice each new phonetic unit.
- A gentle path toward independent reading.
- A way to build confidence in beginners and struggling readers.
- Fun, amusing stories and pictures.
- Carefully written books that offer extensive practice on common phonics sounds.
- A simple, progressive guide to introducing phonics sounds.
- Extensive review. Kids get to practice old sounds with new sounds.
- Easy access. You can print them all from home!
- A fun path toward independent reading.
What phonics rules do our books cover?
Our phonics books cover a broad range of phonics rules. There are many books in each set. As a result, beginning readers are able to develop fluency (reading speed). Our phonics books cover the following phonics rules:
Our short vowel books allow kids to master short vowel sounds in the following order:
- a_ as in mat, sat, fan, ham, cap
- i_ as in lit, sit, fin, him, kit
- o_ as in got, hot, Ron, hop, cop
- u_ as in cup, hut, fun, hum, tub
- e_ as in met, set, fell, pen, let
Since our books are systematic, kids learn how to read one short vowel word type at a time. For example, short a books include sentences like: “Pam had a bat.” Later, short e books contain sentences like: “The cub ran to the den.”
Our step-by-step approach helps struggling readers master all short vowel words.
Next, our consonant digraph books introduce consonant digraphs in the following order:
- sh as in wish, dish, ship, shell…etc.
- th as in bath, math, moth, path…etc.
- th as in then, this, that…etc.
- ch as in chop, chill, chip, Chad…etc.
- _tch as in batch, witch, match, patch…etc.
- _ck as in deck, kick, Rick, chick…etc.
- _ing as in king, ring, sing, wing…etc.
- _ng as in long, song, wrong, strong…etc.
- _ang as in sang, rang, pang, bang…etc.
- wh_ as in when, whale, wheel, whim…etc.
Again, our consonant digraph books are systematic. Each book set focuses on one phonics sound. Thus, the sh digraph books include sentences like: “Shell got on a ship to get fish.” Later, our _ang digraph books include sentences like: “Jill got a pet with fangs.”
Our books teach phonics sounds in incremental steps.
Next, our consonant blends books teach kids to read two letter sounds in a row. Consonant blends words include words like spot, land, track, west, and sand. Our consonant blends books give kids extensive practice with a step-by-step approach that builds confidence.
Consonant Blends Series Now Available!
Next, our silent e books teach kids to read the following phonics rules:
- a_ e as in lake, bake, lane, make, mane…etc.
- e_e as in Pete, these…etc.
- i_e as in hive, bike, dive, tile, mile, mine…etc.
- o_e as in hope, cope, hole, rope, rose…etc.
- u_e as in duke, use
- Our silent e books build a strong reading foundation.
Silent E Book Series Now Available!
Our long vowel books teach kids to read:
- ee as in peek, seek, seem…etc.
- ea as in leave, real, seal…etc.
- ai as in sail, mail, tail…etc.
- _ay as in bay, day, say…etc.
- oa as in boat, soap, boast…etc.
- ow as in glow, slow, row…etc.
- igh as in sigh, light, might…etc.
- _y as in my, cry, fly…etc.
- ____y as in funny, bunny, granny…etc.
Our long vowel series, like all our books, are methodically written. Kids learn one phonics sound at a time. They get to practice extensively.
Give your student a solid reading foundation. Our phonics books give kids the skills to read independently and with confidence.