Do you have a kindergartner who knows at least some letter sounds? If so, your child is ready to string the sounds together to read. On the Reading Elephant YouTube channel, our video “Quick Activity to Help Kids Learn to Read,” can help you learn how to get your kindergartner reading for the first time.
(If you’re receiving this post from our weekly email, simply click on this blog to find the video.)
Here’s the link:
Reading Elephant offers 120+ step-by-step decodable phonics stories in our shop.
Summary of the Activity:
For a summary of this activity, here are the steps:
- make flashcards of the letter sounds your student knows
- put 3 letters in a row to make a word
- tell your student to, “Say the sounds slowly.”
- Next, say, “What’s the word?”
- Switch out one letter. For example, if your orignial word is cat, switch out the c to make sat.
- Continue in this manner. Have your child read 6-20 words, depending on his frustration level.
- Do this activity daily.